Monday, October 13, 2008

In Memoriam: William J. Higginson

Good Friends:

William J. Higginson died Saturday, October 11th. Higginson was the author of many books on Japanese poetic forms including "The Haiku Handbook" and "Haiku Seasons", editor of haiku journals and the head of the Haiku Society of America for many years. His dedication to Japanese poetic forms and transmitting these forms to the west spans a period of over 40 years. His online site on Renku, located at renku.home.att.net, is a valuable trove of information on all things connected with this form, a resource I reglarly check in with.

I never met Higginson, but I am grateful for all of his efforts on my behalf and on the behalf of so many others.

Sincerely,

Jim

5 comments:

Area 17 said...

Dear Jim,

It is a huge loss to so many of us, isn't it?

We are so lucky to have known him in one way or another.

Here are just a few of Bill's websites and links to The Haiku Handbook. I also highly recommend "Haiku World" the companion book to "Haiku Seasons."

all my very best,

Alan

Weblinks to Bill:

Bill's Haikai Home

Bill's Renku Home

Bill's "A Taste of Butterfly Dreams: The Seasons through Haiku and Photographs"

The Haiku Handbook on Amazon (U.K.)

The Haiku Handbook on Amazon.com (U.S.)

This is a letter sent to Curtis Dunlap by Penny Harter

.

Rengajim said...

Dear Alan:

Thanks for listing all those links. I wasn't aware of all of them and appreciate that you took the time and effort to post them here.

Best wishes,

Jim

Area 17 said...

Thanks Jim,

It was a pleasure, as it is to read your blog.

If you do want to post a response on Curtis Dunlap's blog I think Penny Harter may well be reading the comments in a few weeks time, and be comforted by them.

all my very best,

Alan

Michael Dylan Welch said...

A small correction. Bill actually died on Saturday, October 11. The loss of Bill to the haiku community is incalculable. I will miss him greatly.

Michael Dylan Welch

Rengajim said...

Thank you Michael. Sorry I got the date wrong. I'll correct it in the post.